Thursday 16 March 2017

Truthwitch by Susan Dennard | Book Review


Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
Overview of the book:
Magic runs through the veins of young witches Safiya and Iseult. Forced to flee their home with a ruthless Bloodwitch on their trails, the girls must avoid capture, as Safi is a rare Truthwitch. She is able to distinguish truth from lies, and people would kill to control her powers.
With wars on the horizon, treaties being broken and magic flowing strong, the two friends must fight for their lives and empire. For some would stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch.


Personal opinion:
May I firstly state that I am absolutely IN LOVE with this book. It is the best combination of all my favourite things:
➽Kick-ass female main characters
An adorable friendship
Magic/fantasy for days
Pirates of the Caribbean vibes

All the hype that surrounds this book, is so totally worth it! This book was so easy to read and now that I have finished this book, I realises just how invested I am with the storyline, characters and the plot.

Although I adore this book, there were a few things that I had a little difficulty to fully understanding at first. The foremost being that terminology throughout the book was not explicitly explained. For example, there would be talk of ‘Threadsisters’ and I was sitting there like:
“I need an explanation here... Susan Dennard? Please? Help...”
But the terms used in this book were so unique it was able to make me feel as though I was fully immersed in the world. (Also, the supper cool map was pretty!).

Now to the characters...
One of the main characters, Safi, who was the Truthwitch, was pretty cool. I found that in the middle of the book, I didn’t like her as much, but by the end of the book she had redeemed herself for me and I really liked the way that she took control of her future and finally made some of her own decisions.

Next is Iz, who is not only a Threadwitch (but I think she may be something more), but also one-half of the cutest and most loyal friendship I have read about in ages! She is Threadsisters with Safi, and these two kind of remind me of my best friend and myself. I personally like Iz more than Safi, I can kind of relate to her and I also feel as though she is such a strong character. She has been through so much and she always feels guilty and takes the blame for things out of her control.

Now onto Prince Merik, who to be honest is a bit annoying (for me at least). I feel as though he is such a kind character and he does have his Empire’s best intentions at heart, but he is being excessively narrow sighted. He seems to push all care and thought for Safi and Iz completely away and point fingers and blame in the blink of an eye. BUT I do find that him and Safi would be an adorable couple, they seem to complete each other and will keep each other’s lives interesting.

And finally! My all time favourite character Aeduan! Bless his little Bloodwitch soul, he is my little marshmallow and down right the best thing in this book! His sass, humour, kick-ass ways and epic powers were just the BEST! Everything he did in this book showed that people can be more than what they seem. Basically, I think I found a new book-boyfriend. (Oh, but I totally ship him and Iz together!)

Overall, this book was so incredible and one thing that made it even more incredible is the fact that it brings up a bunch of social issues. The reader is confronted with the fact that prejudice and racism is quite possibly one of the worst things around. You don’t know a person, and you cannot judge their story until you get to know them. And even then, people can be hiding their true feelings and emotions behind a glass mask that is fragile and easily broken.  

The Verdict – Star Rating:
I don’t think I even need to say anything here, this book is amazing and incredible. The best fantasy I have read thins year, and ultimately, I loved it!


This book gets a full 5/5 star rating from me. I highly recommend this book!


Bloggers Note:
HELLO!!! Nice to see you all again! Thanks so so much for checking out this review.
I am sorry that I am once again leaving basically months between postings. It is such a hard and heavy workload at school and I need to put my full attention towards that.
But I couldn’t resist posting a review on this incredible book!  If you haven’t read it yet, I highly recommend that you go and read it right now! It is so incredible and if you even have the slightest inclination to read it. You really should!
Anyway, only a short ‘authors note’ from me. I hope you are all having a fantastic day!

Until next time, keep reading!
-Shelbi 

No comments:

Post a Comment